As a service to first time attendees or potential attendees of WV Writers Summer Conference, this document is being provided as a guide to planning your conference experience. There are answers to frequently asked questions below...
- We recommend that you register in advance by completing the forms on our web site at www.wvwriters.org/conference.html. (5/9/08 NOTE: PRE-REGISTRATION IS CLOSED, BUT YOU MAY REGISTER AT THE CONFERENCE WITH NO PROBLEM.)
- If you plan to stay overnight or dine in the cafeteria, be sure to fill out the separate
form, as well. Be sure to note your choice of meal for the Awards Banquet, should you wish to attend. Cedar Lakes
- You don't have to register for the individual workshops in advance. Just pick them as you go. Some people find that it's easier to print out the schedule (or use the one given to you at registration, which will be the most accurate) and then highlight two classes each session that you're interested in. Then, when the time arrives, you can pick between the two. Some people like to have a "back up class" in case one is overcrowded, or in case you find yourself enjoying a particular track so much that you want to stick with it (poetry vs. non-fiction, for example). We would recommend that you take at least one class outside of your chosen genre; not just for the broadened experience, but because you might find inspiration or a particular nugget of writing wisdom that you can apply to what you're working on. For example, if you write fiction, take a poetry workshop or a nonfiction editing workshop, which can help with your craft.
- Be sure to dress light because the classrooms can get warm. However, bring a sweater, cause it can get chilly, particularly at night.
- Bring an umbrella. One of our annual traditions at the WVWriters Conference is to host a vertical torrential downpour, usually on Saturday. Last year, it knocked out the air-conditioning in the cafeteria.
- Bring shoes that are comfortable for walking, not only for walking to and from the dining hall but for taking strolls around the grounds of
. However, don’t bring shoes you’re not willing to have soiled by Goose Poo, as there’s a lot of it around. Cedar Lakes
- We also hope you're planning to attend the banquet and stick around for entertainment, as Pops Walker and Keith & Joan Pitzer are going to be amazing.