“I don’t think you really want to go there.”
The Charleston Stage Company & Festivall announce the 2009
Location!Location!Location! Play Competition
This year the play will take place in the new Dickinson Street Pedestrian Overpass between Triana Energy and the parking garage. It’s at the foot of the South Side Bridge on the downtown side.
The theme of this year’s play contest is defined by the space. Every journey begins with a crossing whether it’s a doorway, street, river, ocean, space, or time. The crossing in this play can be real or imaginary, mundane or grand, silly or tragic, literal or metaphoric. Just go with whatever crosses your mind.
As long as you follow the rules which are as follows: Plays must have 2-4 characters of any age or gender. The play should have a running time of 10 minutes. The title must be: The Crossing. The first line of the play has to be: “I don’t think you really want to go there.”
The two winning plays will be performed in the overpass six times on Saturday June 27, 2009.
This is the fourth year for Charleston Stage Company’s Festivall! Previous productions have included the Elvis Play (back this year by popular demand) and the wildly successful Trolley Play.
1. All playwrights must be West Virginia residents.
2. The play must not have been produced previously.
3. All plays must be type written and mailed to the Charleston Stage Company at 123 Summers Street Charleston, WV 25301 by May 1, 2009.
4. Playwrights can submit more than one play. Collaborations between writers are also acceptable.
5. Playwrights must be available to attend the first performance on June 27, 2009.
The plays will be read and judged by judges who will consider (among other things) creative use of the dramatic possibilities of the space. For more information check out the Festivall Play Contest at www.charlestonstagecompany.com.