- If you've never been to the conference, check out the Conference First Timers Guide for some handy tips.
- Remember to bring material to pin to the Writers Wall, be it poetry or prose. Remember not to put your name on the Writers Wall material.
- Remember to bring material to read in the People's Choice competitions on Friday or Saturday, be it poetry or prose.
- Remember that name badges are required in order to attend workshops, so that will help in knowing who people are in all the activities. This year we've chosen the much-requested hanging badges instead of the pin-style so they won't snag clothes, so this will make them easier to wear.
- Remember to bring something to donate to the silent auction. People have brought books, crafts, jewelry, art, sculpture and many other kinds of things. If it looks interesting, chances are it will do well. If you don't have something already, maybe ask a local business to donate something. WV Writers can send them a tax receipt.
- Remember to bring a food item or drink item for the Reception Table in the Main Hall. This can be something home baked or store bought, like cookies, candy bar minis, doughnuts, or, God help us, something healthy like fruit. Chips, not so good. Likewise for drinks, a 12 pack of canned soft drinks or water is greatly appreciated. We'll have coffee and fruit/veggie trays on hand, but if you have healthy food you'd like to bring, that's always appreciated too. We like to have enough food and drinks on hand so there are refreshments throughout the weekend, so if everyone brings a food item and a drink item, we'll be good to go.
- If you have a cooler and ice you can loan us for the weekend please do bring it. We use them to keep the refreshment drinks cold.
- If you're doing a Pitch Session with Ben LeRoy or Katharine Sands, you might stop by the following address for some Pitch Session How To suggestions. (http://jenniferlawler.com/wordpress/?p=133)
- If you've registered for your room and meals with Cedar Lakes, be sure they have your meal choice for the Saturday evening banquet (baked steak or stuffed chicken). Every year Cedar Lakes has to spend countless hours calling people to get their choice.
- Check out the finalized schedule online for the latest changes, so you can plan your days accordingly.
- Remember to bring a hoodie, sweater or something warm to pull on, as it does get nippy at night. Similarly, a rain coat or umbrella would be good, as traditionally there is an annual torrential downpour at some point.
Tuesday, June 07, 2011
Conference Attendee Checklist
A handy checklist for attendees of this weekend's 2011 WV Writers Summer Conference.