FOR POETRY & SHORT FICTION
Please read the following guidelines carefully before sending any
questions to <queerarts(at)gmail.com> (replace (at) with @).
1) Contest is open to any author who identifies as Lesbian, Gay,
Bisexual or Transgender.
2) Any entry by an author who is not LGBT will be disqualified upon
BLOOM's confirmation of author's identity. Any entry fee will not be
3) Previous publication in BLOOM does not privilege or diminish an
4) For Fiction, material must be original and unpublished, either in
print or online. An excerpt from a larger work is eligible, but should
not be identified as such. The excerpt will be judged as a stand-alone
piece of work.
5) For Poetry, material must be original and at least 50% unpublished.
If poems have been published in literary journals, either in print or
online, please list the acknowledgments on the Submission Form and not
anywhere in the Manuscript. Poems published in books, including
anthologies and e-books, are not eligible.
6) No joint authors. An author may enter both contests, but each entry
requires a Submission Form (download PDF at
http://www.artsinbloom.com/BLOOMChapbookForm.pdf), a Manuscript, and
an Entry Fee.
7) Manuscripts will be judged anonymously. The author's name should
appear only on the Submission Form that accompanies the manuscript and
nowhere else, including Headers and Footers.
8) No translations; manuscripts must be in English.
9) Manuscript Preparation:
Poetry – Every manuscript must have a Title Page, with the title of
the manuscript and a table of the contents (i.e. a list of the poems
included). Pages should be numbered in upper right corner, with the
Title of the manuscript in the heading. No more than one poem per
page; no more than 25 pages (does not include Title Page). A paper
clip is preferred, but staples are fine.
Fiction – Every manuscript must have a Title Page, with only title of
the manuscript (no personal information, no word counts, nada). Pages
should be numbered in upper right corner, with the Title of the
manuscript in the heading. Please double-space the text; use standard
margins; no more than 25 pages (does not include Title Page). A paper
clip is preferred, but a staple is fine.
10) ENTRY FEE: $15 by check (payable to BLOOM Magazine) or paid online. Each fee
entitles author to one issue of BLOOM.
11) DEADLINE: Submission must be postmarked or emailed by June 15, 2010.
12) REGULAR SUBMISSION: Send Submission Form, Manuscript, and Entry
Fee to BLOOM Chapbook Contest, 5482 Wilshire Blvd, #1616, Los Angeles,
CA 90036. If you want to be notified of receipt, please include a
self-addressed, stamped postcard or envelope.
13) ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION: Email manuscript to
<queerarts(at)gmail.com>(replace (at) with @) with one of two subject
headings (Fiction Chapbook Contest or Poetry Chapbook Contest).
Submission Form may be emailed or sent separately. Entry Fee may be
paid online or sent separately. NOTE: Work will not be considered
until all three items are present.
14) ANNOUNCEMENT: A list of finalists will be announced by September
1, 2010, and the winner by October 1, 2010.
15) Finalists and winners may be published in a future issue of BLOOM
or on BLOOM's website.
16) Each winner receives $250 and 25 copies of chapbook.
17) Additional guidelines may emerge if we forgot something, but we
tried to cover everything.